Help the San Francisco Bay Chapter celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. Early in 2013 the Chapter ExComm voted to make this celebration an official Chapter project, and the Chapter Wilderness Committee has a list of potential Bay Area events to work on. Now, we need volunteers to join in and help make them happen:
- a kayak trip from Jack London Square to near Lake Merritt;
- activities with the East Bay Regional Park District—(it was involved in 2004 at the 40th anniversary);
- a family hike along San Leandro Creek, helping promote the area’s inclusion in a Bay to Ridgeline trail system;
- additional family-friendly hikes–we need leaders;
- a joint outing (or outings) with the Oceanic Society to observe birds on the Farallon Islands (the Farallones, within our Chapter boundaries, will celebrate the 40th anniversary of being designated wilderness, in 2014);
- a joint event or events with the National Park Service, to honor Phil Burton, in or near the wilderness named for him within the Point Reyes National Seashore;
- a series of walks in the national wildlife refuges that make up the Bay Area Complex of Refuges ringing the Bay;
- a joint event with the California Historical Society in San Francisco to celebrate the role of wilderness in California’s history–and the role of the Sierra Club in that history;
- a joint event with the California Academy of Sciences, in conjunction with its next year’s overarching theme of biodiversity;
- hikes to nearby state wildernesses, or at least to the state parks that contain them, e.g. the Orestimba State Wilderness in Henry Coe State Park; there are 12 state wildernesses in California–a fantastic project would be an outing to one each month;
- a photo contest for children of pictures they take of themselves in wilderness or natural areas;
- help place exhibits of wilderness photos at the San Francisco and Oakland Airports;
- promoting wilderness displays/exhibits in Bay Area public libraries;
- getting city/county governments to issue proclamations/pass resolutions in honor of California wilderness.
This list is still growing–awaiting your additional ideas and involvement.
To get involved in putting on the big wilderness celebration, contact Vicky Hoover at (415)977-5527 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the anniversary at www.wilderness50th.org and http://www.facebook.com/50thAnniversaryOfTheWildernessAct.