On Tuesday, April 12th, at 1:30 pm, two important coal-busting bills will be heard in the Senate Transportation Committee. Introduced by Senator Loni Hancock, the two bills are intended to restrict coal exports through California. Senator Hancock wrote the bills in reaction to the dangerous proposal to export coal through the Oakland army base redevelopment.
- SB 1277 would protect residents and workers in West Oakland by declaring that the transportation, loading, and unloading of coal through West Oakland would present a danger to health and safety. It also requires a supplemental environmental impact review of the use of the terminal for the shipment of coal pursuant to CEQA. Read and download a fact sheet here.
- SB 1279 would prohibit the California Transportation Commission from allocating any state funds for any project at a port facility located at, or adjacent to, a disadvantaged community if it exports, or plans to export, coal from California. Read and download a fact sheet here.
Senator Hancock has asked supporters of her bills to call Democratic Transportation Committee members before this crucial Tuesday hearing. If you live in any of these representatives’ districts, please make a call today! (Bay Area senators in bold)
- Senator Jim Beall (Committee Chair) (District 15: San Jose, Campbell, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, and Saratoga): (408) 558-1295
- Senator Anthony Cannella (Vice Chair) (District 12: Central Valley between Modesto and Fresno): (916) 651-4012
- Senator Benjamin Allen (District 26: Southern California): (310) 318-6994
- Senator Patricia C. Bates (District 36: Orange and San Diego counties): (916) 651-4036
- Senator Ted Gaines (District 11: Northeast California): (916) 651-4001
- Senator Cathleen Galgiani (District 5: San Joaquin County and portions of Stanislaus and Sacramento Counties): (916) 651-4005
- Senator Connie M. Leyva (District 20: parts of San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties): (916) 651-4020
- Senator Mike McGuire (District 2: North Coast / North Bay including Marin County): (415) 479-6612
- Senator Tony Mendoza (District 32: parts of Los Angeles and Orange counties): (916) 651-4032
- Senator Richard D. Roth (District 31: Riverside County): (916) 651-4031
- Senator Bob Wieckowski (District 10: Southern Alameda County and part of Santa Clara County): (510) 794-3900
- Transportation of coal through our communities creates health, safety, and climate problems.
- Funding projects and developments that contribute to pollution and climate change is contrary to the state’s goals.
West Oakland, the location of the proposed coal terminal, is already heavily impacted by pollution and related health impacts, including asthma, cancer, and heart disease.
- Proposition 1B funds are supposed to be restricted to projects that reduce pollutant emissions. Yet $176 million in 1B funds have gone to the redevelopment of the former Oakland Army Base, site of the proposed coal terminal, which would increase emissions.